Across the country, the standard diagnostic tool for detecting prostate cancer is two-dimensional: an ultrasound-guided biopsy.
Now, Urology Specialists of Nevada (USONV) physicians are pioneering a new technology that combines 3-D Ultrasound with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) image fusion and organ-based tracking.
Through a combination of unique organ-based tracking, state-of-the-art MRI imaging software and 3D ultrasound, this technology:
- Creates a 3D map of the prostate
- Identifies suspicious lesions or “targets” on MRI
- “Fuses” or overlaps the 3D MRI image onto the 3D ultrasound image of the prostate to create a more accurate image
- Accurately guides the biopsy needle into the “target” lesion
- Stores a memory of the exact location of each biopsy sample
Thanks to this technology, USONV physicians can now combine real-time, high-resolution 3D ultrasound with 3D MRI images of the prostate for enhanced prostate biopsy sampling and visualization of suspected cancers. This new life-saving technology was recently featured in Forbes Magazine: